It is, of course, easy to say where Breckland is: south west Norfolk and north west Suffolk; around Thetford and Brandon; either side of the A11 – all valid, if not particularly precise, answers.The characteristic landscapes of Breckland are highly distinctive and easy to recognise – forestry plantations, heathland, pine rows, farmland and irrigation frames. It is a landscape which is difficult to mistake for anywhere else. Yet where this region starts and stops has been the source of some disagreement. The map below, based on work carried out by David Addy, is not intended to be an exhaustive survey but provides a selection of boundaries which have been given for the Breckland region in various works.  Each is based on various criteria including soil type, distribution of plant species, parish boundaries, administrative convenience and landscape character.
The creation of the Breckland local government district in 1974 confuses the issue somewhat by incorporating a large chunk of central Norfolk which, in landscape terms, has little in common with the area to the south west. Trist’s boundary (from An Ecological Flora of Breckland) takes a pleasingly geometric approach, creating one of the largest definitions by following Ordnance Survey grid squares. Leaving these two aside Breckland acquires a slightly more uniform shape, stretching approximately from Swaffham in the north to Bury St Edmunds in the south and east to west from Hockwold to Harling. Exactly where the line should be drawn is a personal and subjective matter. The fenland landscape to the east and clayland landscape to the west are clearly very different propositions in terms of appearance and character, but the change from one to the other is not always abrupt and distinct.
This takes in a large area and extends much further to the north and to the south east than many definitions, marching north past Castle Acre and even nudging into Cambridgeshire. It is recognised in the NCA description however that the the region’s boundaries are ‘mingled’ and ‘blurred’.
The smallest version of Breckland is that defined by E. Pickworth Farrow in 1915 (‘On the ecology of the vegetation of Breckland’). The southern half reflects most definitions but to the north the boundary is placed at what is now the edge of the Stanford Training Area, leaving out places such as Methwold and Hilborough.
Schober (1937), Mosby (1938) and Postgate (1960)  all defined fairly similar areas, roughly the same shape as the modern NCA boundary but each making different decisions about precisely what to include and exclude. Postgate dealt with complexity of Breckland’s margins by making a further distinction between ‘core’ and ‘periphery’ areas (the map below shows only the ‘core’).
Taken together these maps are a reminder of the complex and at times arbitrary nature of regional boundaries, and the difficulty of subjectively defining where one landscape type begins and another ends.
The Middle of Breckland
Combining all of the maps above (excluding Breckland District Council and Trist’s map) and calculating the coordinates of the middle of this shape allows us to pinpoint the definitive centre of Breckland – appropriately enough an area of forestry plantation here, just of the B1107 near Santon Downham.
Grid Reference: TL 82993 86236
Lat/Long: 52.4434622 / 0.69102232
 A similar map can be found in K. Sussams, The Breckland Archaeological Survey (1996).
 E. Schober, Das “Breckland” : eine Charakterlandschaft Ost-Englands (1937); J.E.G. Mosby, Norfolk, Land Utilisation Survey of Great Britain (1938); M.R. Postgate, ‘Historical Geography of Breckland 1600-1850’.
During 2016 we are working on a project looking at the changing landscape of Breckland in the period 1700-1930. If you would like to find out more about the project and how you can get involved please contact us. Click here to email us. This project is part of the Breaking New Ground Landscape Partnership. You can find out more on the BNG website – www.breakingnewground.org.uk.