Four interesting things seen by the Landscape team over the bank holiday weekend within a few miles of Norwich –
1. The early seventeenth-century banqueting house in the grounds of Bawburgh Hall (demolished in 1963). Although privately owned, the tall gables of the upper storey can be seen above the hedges from the nearby road.
2. A fine Norman doorway at St Mary’s Church in Marlingford – the earliest surviving fabric in the church, which is mentioned in a will of 1000.
3. Marlingford Mill on the River Yare, refurbished in the 1850s on the site of an earlier mill. In the 1780s Parson Woodforde, whose famous diary is a much loved source at UEA, often sold his corn to the miller.
4. Two churches in one churchyard – St Mary (the ruined tower) and All Saints in Great Melton. St Mary’s remained in use until the nineteenth century, when All Saints was rebuilt and became the main parish church. Multiple churches sharing a churchyard is not uncommon in East Anglia – in Reepham there were once three parish churches in one yard.